Our Adventure: Part I

Our Adventure: Part I
Woke up with a migraine, but it didn’t effect my anticipating, excited mood. I quickly readied myself for the day and glanced at my to do list written in purple sharpie. Ali let out a crackly, early morning voiced “momma”, and I went to her immediately. It would be the last morning I’d have with her for several days, and I wanted to enjoy every minute of it. Despite my efforts, the morning sped away quickly while packing, receiving the window repair man in, and lunch packing got done.
Off to a quick trip to Target for a few items: white undershirts for Daniel, footies and gray shimmer leggings for me, and a compact mirror masquerading as a cheeseburger from the dollar bin for Ali. It was her going away present. We’re big spenders can’t ya tell? On our way we listened to Behold our God, worshipping for how He sovereignly rules over the affairs of men. It was, after all, the day after the 2012 election.
Running behind, I quickly zipped to our next destination, the babysitter’s. Transfer the car seat, the diaper bag, the child {the most precious of cargo}. Big hugs and kisses back and forth. She was unmoved. Finishing off the cliff bar in her hand was her top priority.
Got to work with minutes to spare. Opened the shop and tidied the store. This hanger goes here. That dress goes over there. Tag and put out the new brooches that were just finished. Ah, they looked nice. I was pleased. The migraine was still haunting me, so I slowed my pace and took care of only necessary business.
The time went by quickly. I chatted with customers, some friendly, some not so much. As I listened to their stories, and the hearts behind those stories I was reminded that there’s pain and struggle behind both the pleasant and sour faces that pass through. I prayed I’d have eyes to see that more often, instead of taking personal offense at someone’s disagreeable disposition. I bragged on my hubby to some, how he was about to finish med school, how he has been so good to me. And bragged on my God to all, how He’s helped us to this point in med school, how He’s been so good to us.
2pm came, and it was time for me to leave work early and go home to meet up with my Love. He was waiting for me there. He loaded the car, took the trash out, and only let out one {audible} sigh as I insisted on finishing the dishes before we left. I have this thing about having the house a certain way when we leave for more than a day. Bed made, dishes done, trash out, temp turned down, blinds drawn, cords unplugged, clutter picked up, and house as clean as possible. Over the few years we’ve been married, he’s learned to let me be, and I’ve learned to not be so up tight. The bed was left unmade and there was 2 baskets of unfolded laundry left undone. Compromise. We’re working on it.
After stopping at Mom Hindman’s {to drop off Ali’s suitcase and to give goodbye hugs to Daniel’s parents} and Mom Segar’s {to borrow their Prius and steal the freshly baked chewy chocolate chip cookies from the kitchen of Dad} we set out on our adventure. We were only driving half-way so there was no huge rush. During the quiet drive in my parent’s Prius {thank you Mom and Dad!}, we got caught up.  Stories were exchanged, excitement was shared, dreams confided. What a wonderful man I have to share life with. Jesus is good to me.
By the end of the 6 hour drive we stopped in Lexington, KY, and were half-way to Michigan, to Daniel’s first residency interview.

So whatcha thinkin'?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: